As you can see, everything you do is marketing, from answering the phone to placing an ad. And marketing leads to sales.
It is very important to choose your marketing strategy carefully. Make sure you diversify your marketing portfolio. Choose from the tips in many areas so you reach as much of your target market in as many ways through as much media as you can.
Mix up some ads, some website, some direct mail, some publicity and networking to start. Why do this? To reach as much of your target market as possible in as many ways as you can, realizing not everyone will see you in every media. Not everyone reads magazine, goes to your website, reads your email, or sees your ads.
Here are the categories from which to select tips to add to your marketing plan. This is not an exhaustive list, but you can add to it as you go along. Put a check mark next to the tips that best fit your marketing plan. Choose at least one from each category.
- Attend at least 3 meetings of associations to find a good one for you to network with.
- Test some formalized leads groups to stimulate sales.
- Tell six to ten people about your business this week at business and social events.
- Prepare a 30seconds elevator speech clearly explaining what you sell and who it benefits.
- Ask potential clients about their business and their needs.
- Diversify the use of your promotional tools. Include websites, e-commerce, e-bulletin boards, newsgroups, direct mail, fliers, brochures, events, speaking to groups, or advertising to reach your entire target market
- Develop your own opt-in email first. Send out an e-newsletter or special report. Note always have a consistent look, image and message to make an impact on your market.
- Write articles to pitch to publications or website for content.
- Select publications or media that are read or viewed by your target market.
- Submit an online press release that reflects a current trend or story in the news.
- Seek radio interviews local and international.
- Test ads in print and online, targeting exactly the market you seek.
- If you have the budget, test only Pay Per Click, TV, or Radio commercials to reach your target market at prime hours of the day.
- Write compelling copy that sells the solution to your market’s problem in an enticing way.
- Place a call to action in your ads, giving readers an incentive to call your business. Note: Always track where callers found your ad so you can evaluate what is working and what is not.
- Create a good impression by talking with and listening to your prospects. Either in person or by telephone.
- Focus on filling your pipeline, following up, giving presentations, and asking for the business.
- Make it easy and convenient to buy your product and services.
Remember it’s the strategy you use not the tolls that ensure your success. Clearly defining your target market, sending a clear message, and staying consistent is key.
Web Consultant – Udokwu Chibuzor Matthias